Replacing your old roof is a major home improvement undertaking, one that can cost a lot of time and money. Given the scale of the project, it is very important to plan well ahead of time to ensure that it goes as smoothly as possible. A huge part of the planning process has to do with setting aside enough funds to minimize the impact on your finances. With that in mind, here are a few budgeting tips from an expert roof and window contractor.
Tag: roof replacement
Roof replacement will become a necessity at a certain point. When that time finally arrives, you may be faced with the question of whether to remove the old underlayment or keep it in place. Generally, a total tear-off — which means replacing the entire roof system — is the best way to go.
In this post, trusted roofing and siding contractor Polar Bear shares some of the benefits of a complete roof replacement.
Why Are Tear-Offs More Often Recommended?
For roof replacement projects, roofers are often required to do tear-offs due to building codes or manufacturer warranties. And generally, a tear-off results in a longer-lasting roof, so it is more frequently recommended than reroofing (a method that allows new shingles to be installed over old shingles).
Below are some of the benefits of a total tear-off:
- A tear-off enables your contractor to inspect the roof decking for rot, mold or any damage that would compromise the integrity of your new roof. This gives you the chance to ensure the optimal performance of your new roof.
- Underlayment is a layer found underneath your shingles. Typically, if your shingles have already aged or started deteriorating, you can expect the underlayment to be in the same condition. That said, a complete tear-off would naturally make more sense.
- Whether you are replacing Polar Bear roofing or windows, warranty should always be considered. Always review the details of your warranty before doing any work on your roof so as to avoid the risk of your warranty not being covered.
Polar Bear is a top-rated roofing and window contractor. We perform jobs to a high standard, so you can rest assured that you will be getting value for your money and the strongest warranty. Call us at (425) 290-5579 or fill out our contact form to request a free estimate. We serve customers in Seattle and the surrounding areas.
A roofing system acts as the home’s first line of defense against the elements. This is why your choice of roofing materials can make a huge difference in your sense of security against the elements, which is why it’s important to conduct thorough research before choosing your best roofing product. According to top roofers, one of the most popular roofing materials on the market are asphalt shingle roofs.
In this post, your trusted roof replacement contractor, Polar Bear Exterior Solutions, shares the essential components of asphalt shingle roofs.
- Asphalt Shingles. This component provides the first water-shedding barrier that protects your home from water infiltration. The fiberglass shingle is made with a protective resin that prevents water and moisture from entering your home. These shingles are fire resistant, wind resistant, tear resistant and ready for the toughest elements.
- Underlayment. Your roofer will tell you that the underlayment serves as a secondary layer in case your asphalt shingles fail. It can be found between the roof and the deck. This synthetic underlayment is both water resistant and tear resistant and will act as a secondary barrier against leaks.
- Flashing. Roof flashing is galvanized steel that directs water away from areas of the roof that meet walls or dormers or chimneys or vents. Roof flashing is required to prevent water from getting underneath your shingles.
- Venting. A roof that breathes is shown to perform better and last longer. Ridge vents in conjunction with lower intake venting allow good air flow keeping the attic cooler in summer and drier in the winter.
Polar Bear Exterior Solutions is a premier source of home improvement solutions in Seattle. From siding installation to re-roofing and window installation, our team of professionals has got you covered. Call at (425) 290-5579 or fill out our contact form to set up an appointment. We look forward to transforming your dream home into a reality.
When guests and family come over to your home, among the first things that catch their eyes is your front door. Your entry door says a lot about your style and can tie together all the other components of your exterior. One way to make this part of your home more appealing is by adding sidelights.Continue reading “Is It a Good Idea to Get an Entry Door With Sidelights?”
While your roof is designed to withstand the weather’s extremes, it can still deteriorate due to the elements. How well you maintain your roof and the environment it is in have huge impacts on its lifespan. If your contractor fails to install it properly, it’s more likely to experience damage due to the elements. Continue reading “Natural Elements that Can Harm Your Roofing System”
1 2 Next »